Saturday, December 18, 2010

Rant of the Day- "Santa"

WORD OF WARNING:


IF YOU BELIEVE IN SANTA CLAUS, STOP READING AT ALL COSTS!

......

Okay, now that that's settled, I have another rant for y'all.

SANTA CLAUS.

I'm twelve years old. I haven't believed in Santa Claus since I was about nine. That was in fourth grade, and even then I wasn't sure if he was real or not. When I turned ten, I gave up the Santa dream, and at ages eleven and now twelve, I pretty much dropped the whole Santa dream entirely.

Well, I'm getting that feeling that my family is trying to force the Santa back into me. Do you know what I mean?

Take today for example. My grandparents came over to help bake Christmas cookies. After a while, I went to go hug my grandma, and she said to me "What if Santa doesn't bring you Gwen?"
After a quiet cringe, I said "Santa's not real."
My dad piped up from across the room. "Yes he is! Santa's the man!"
"I don't believe in Santa." I said, almost irritably.
"You don't have to believe in him, but he's real." Ma said.
"Since you don't believe in Santa, are you not going to allow your kids to get presents on Christmas and believe in Santa?" Papa asked, almost intimidating me.
I stopped there and just left, because that was just plain insulting. I know my parents and grandparents don't believe in Santa and they still let Alex and I believe in Santa, and yet they have the nerve to tell me something like that? That's just rude.

My dad has also on several occasions brough up Santa's being real-ness. And on every occasion he brings it up, he always mentions how 'if you don't believe in him, you don't get any presents'.

Okay, I don't mean to get all stereotypical-teenager on my parents, but I'm twelve freaking years old. I KNOW Santa's fake, and I KNOW that my parents are the ones who leave the presents under the tree on Christmas morning. And YES, at one point, I did believe in Santa, and YES, I did enjoy waiting up midnight to try and catch him coming down the chimney, and YES, I did leave cookies and milk on the table in the living room.

But like I said, I'm twelve years old, and those days are over. Sure, I love waking up on Christmas morning and opening the gifts and being with my family, and Santa minused out of that really doesn't change anything. I don't get mad and defy my parent's beliefs, so they have absolutely no reason to defy mine.

Now, just because I don't believe in Santa doesn't mean I'm going to go be evil and ruin other little kid's beliefs. When I see a little kid I know, I usually ask them what they asked Santa for for Christmas. I let them have their fun, just like I had mine.

Anyone who agrees?

~ERIN~

3 comments:

  1. I kinda believe in Santa, but I know he's fake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand letting kids believe in santa for awhile .. but after 8 or 9 you should let it go .. my older nieces still get a gift from santa even though they do not believe .. but if santa did not bring them something the younger girls would notice ..

    For me .. my kids would never have 'santa' they would have stockings from Nana and gifts from the family .. I have an issue with santa .. LOL

    TracAn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Being sixteen, I do know that Santa isn't real. It kinda bugs me how adults try and force it on you that he is. WE know he's not...

    Of course, I do try but not try to go along with little kids who still believe. The last thing I wantto do is ruin their fun. To them Santa is a big part of Christmas. But I don't like to force it too much by talking about it all the time, because I feel like I'm forcing it onto myself and lying horribly to little kids.

    Oh, the joys of being older and having to find out Santa is a lie...

    ~Chelly~

    ReplyDelete